Saturday, June 9, 2012

I fucking hate digital comics.


I just found out DC is doing comics based on those ridiculously expensive but still very cool Ame-Comi statues. It sounds pretty cool to me, I like the character designs, I'm always up for alternate universe stories (which I guess this qualifies as) and the Wonder Woman one is done by Amanda Conner, which as I discussed in an earlier post is an amazing and highly underrated artist. Besides with the New 52 being what it is, I'm hungry for DC books that don't suck a big fat donkey cock (there are a few but they are the minority)

But there's a catch, these comics are only available in downloadable form. Fuck me. I hate downloadable shit and if you love it I frankly think you're fucking stupid. You see when you buy a comic book (same goes for hard copies of movies, music, books, ect) you own it. It's yours. You can keep it till the day you die, you can give it to somebody, you can sell it, or as I did with my One More Day Spider-man issues you can wipe your ass with the pages. Point is its fucking yours. When you download it you're only renting it. You put it on your device, but usually (and my downloading experience is somewhat limited so maybe I'm out of date here) it has some sort of security measure in it to keep you from transferring it from device to device. And since nothing is built to last anymore (when I was 10 I got a Sony Walkman, I had that thing for over a decade till it died and I can't tell you how many times I dropped it, meanwhile cell phones die on me after like 9 months) you won't have your device for long. And even if you get lucky and the things got a decent lifespan its obsolete in 3 years tops. So you can't build a library. And aren't us nerds an obsessive lot who loves to gather and collect? I suppose you could pirate it. But if you like an author, character, creator, etc wouldn't you want to support it? Wouldn't you want to vote with your money so more of the stuff you like gets made?

It amazes me how many people fucking love downloadable shit and digital content. Last year I bought a video game for fucking $60 only to find out to get most of the cool extras I have to get on an Xbox Live account (which costs money just to have) and pay money to get the cool shit that was conveniently left out of my $60 game. And gamers think DLCs are the greatest thing to happen to video games since Mario first discovered go-karts. We are such technophiles in this country we automatically regard the shiny and new as superior even to the point of being blind to how we're getting fucked.



No comments:

Post a Comment