Friday, August 31, 2012

Just read Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past Manga


I'm really excited about the upcoming Sonic/Mega Man crossover from Archie. So I've been on a bit of a kick with retro game characters. Just this past month I did retro reviews on comic books starring Sonic, Mega Man, and Legend of Zelda. So I saw this Zelda manga discounted at a book store the other day and decided to give it a shot.

Now first of all I have not read almost any manga before. This is done in the Japanese style of right to left, so it was a little hard to read at first, but after a few pages I got the hang of it. I haven't played many of the Zelda games but Link to the Past is one of the ones I played a ton of so I figured this story would be somewhat familiar to me. This story had pretty much nothing to do with the Link to the Past game. I mean it was a pretty standard Zelda story of Link saving the Princess, but very little about it really screamed that game in particular. I have a feeling it was just given that name just to draw in people familiar with the game.

The art was OK I guess, I mean it's manga, it pretty much all looks the same. There were some things I found odd, like this panel for instance.


This is when Link first comes to rescue Zelda. She is suppose to be behind these bars. I want to call this a sloppy mistake, but I feel like maybe this is some sort of manga stylization choice I just don't get because I'm not all that familiar with the trappings of manga. Or maybe this artist is just the manga Rob Liefeld, damned if I know.

I can't say this was bad, and if you like manga you will probably enjoy this, but frankly, even despite all it's faults, I enjoyed the old American Zelda comic more. 



No comments:

Post a Comment