Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Superman and Wonder Woman romance in the New 52


So it looks like in Justice League they're gonna play the Superman/Wonder Woman romance card. On the one hand I have to admit I feel if your going to make Superman single again (which I don't agree with) then the least you can do is give us some different and interesting love stories with him. And this isn't the first time DC has played this card, although it's usually been left to Elsewords stories like Kingdom Come. But frankly this pair up never rang true to me. I get that they're pretty much the two physically strongest beings on the planet, but is that really enough to force a relationship here? I always thought a relationship with Batman would make more sense for Wonder Woman than Superman. Batman is a warrior. She would find him attractive for the same reasons she would find Steve Trevor attractive, she deeply respects him. Or if not Batman then Aquaman, they are both royalty after all. But Superman? Supes is a little bitch. As they might say over at Chateau Heartiste Supes, despite all his strength, is a beta male at heart. I really don't see Wonder Woman, born and raised in a warrior culture, going for him. But hey maybe that's just me.

Also I found this quote from Jim Lee interesting:

"Hopefully this will raise a lot of eyebrows. We welcome the watercooler chatter."

Let me translate that quote for those of you who don't speak Jim Lee.

"We are for more interested in stunts that will bring in speculators rather than long term quality story telling, Because the 90's taught us nothing."

No comments:

Post a Comment