Saturday, October 20, 2012

TV Review: Arrow pilot.


So I finally got a chance to see the pilot for the new Green Arrow show. It's on the CW website. I thought it was pretty damn good. I think I'll be watching it regularly.

A few things bugged me, first of all the name. Arrow? Why not Green Arrow? Let's not fall into the Nolan Batman territory of being ashamed of the source material. And he doesn't wear a mask, just the hood with green face paint over his eyes. It just doesn't seem enough to hide is identity. Also I'm not a fan of the whole 'CW style'. For example the love interest is Dinah "Laurel" Lance who is a lawyer in this show and she looks like she's fucking 20. You just look at her and think "There's no way you're a lawyer sweetie" But that's the CW for you, cast every show like it's a high school drama.

Also, while not a fault of the show itself, when watching it on the CW's website, the commercial breaks are fucking painfully obnoxious. I saw the same commercial for some faggy twilight looking show called the Vampire Diaries three fucking times in a row. And that wasn't even half of the break.

All and all this looks to be a solid show and stays surprisingly faithful to the source material, at least compared to recent DC shows like Smallville or the unaired Wonder Woman pilot. Something that really caught my eye, as I'm sure it caught the eye of a lot of fans, was at the beginning of the pilot where we see Oliver Queen rescued off of a deserted island we pan out and see this image.

Can't wait to see what comes from this little teaser. I've only seen the pilot, but I feel pretty content to say if your not watching this you should be.



No comments:

Post a Comment