Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Bechtloff Movie Night: Jennifer's Body (2009)


With Halloween coming I thought I'd take a look at a few horror movies. Last time I looked at Jason X, which I still say is hugely underrated. This time let's take a look at another movie I think is underrated, Jennifer's Body.

The story here is shitty indie rock band Low Shoulder is playing in a dive bar in a small town. Popular girl Jennifer and her nerdy friend Anita "Needy" Lesnicki are there to see them. Thinking her a virgin, the leader of the band lures Jennifer out into the woods to sacrifice her to Satan in order to make his band successful. It works, but because Jennifer is far from a virgin she survives and becomes a succubus. She eats several of the boys at school before she is ultimately killed by her friend Anita. During the final fight, Jennifer bites Anita. Since she was bitten but not killed by a succubus she gained her power. She used that power to go kill the band Low Shoulder.

This movie did not do well at the box office and got mixed reviews at best. I think it's a damn fine horror/comedy. If you take it as a straight horror I could see why it would be disappointing, it's more in line with Beetlejuice or Gremlins, only R rated. The concept behind it is interesting, it's got a solid cast, and the dialogue is great. Also while Megan Fox is a pretty shitty excuse for an actress, she does a pretty solid job here. Hmm, the only role Fox ever nailed was when she played a stuck up shallow narcissistic bitch. I wonder why that is. 

If you've avoided this due to the negative reviews give it a shot. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.



No comments:

Post a Comment