Monday, October 15, 2012

Bechtloff Movie Night: Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)


I really did not think I would like this movie. The moment I even heard there was going to be a Freddy movie without Robert Englund my thoughts were somewhere along the lines of "Fuck that shit". I mean I LOVED the Freddy movies. Even the awful ones. Englund brought such an incredible life to that undead role that even the bad Freddy movies were watchable thanks to him. So this remake came and went in the theaters with me ignoring it and being irritated by its very existence. Finally a friend loaned me his DVD copy and said I really should give it a shot. It sat in my house for almost two weeks before I finally decided to sit down and get through it. And much to my surprise, I liked it.

The new Freddy actor, Jackie Earle Haley, also known as Rorschach in Watchmen, doesn't have the same comedic talent as Englund, and thankfully didn't try to fake it. Englund's Freddy is like the Joker of the slasher movie genre. Even the corny jokes are delivered with such an energy you can't help but laugh. Haley's Freddy was far more quite. When he was being humorous it was much more of a dry wit. And you also rarely saw much of him, usually hiding in shadows rather than being the showman Englund's Freddy was.  Also I liked that this Freddy movie actually came out and said point blank Freddy was a pedophile rather than dance around the issue.

The overall acting and effects in this movie are all damn good, I really can't complain there. Also, while it was a small thing, I really like the use of the Everly Brothers song All I Have To Do Is Dream. There is something about playing that golden oldie song quietly in the background of some of the creepier scenes that really added a strong level on tension.

This remake really surprised me. Is it as good as the original? Of course not. But it's pretty decent, and given how bad many of the recent horror movie remakes are I call that a victory. If your an old Freddy fan like me who dismissed it immediately give it a shot, you might be pleasantly surprised.



2 comments:

  1. Nice analysis,

    "I really did not think I would like this movie. The moment I even heard there was going to be a Freddy movie without Robert Englund my thoughts were somewhere along the lines of "Fuck that shit"."

    I know right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was none the less a solid remake and worth checking out. I was very pleasantly surprised with it.

    ReplyDelete