Thursday, October 25, 2012

Bechtloff Movie Night: Silent Hill (2006)


This movie, based on the video games of the same name, follows a woman named Rose as she attempts to find her daughter who has disappeared. She heads to the abandoned town of Silent Hill where she believes her daughter is and gets sucked into a nightmarish haunted hellscape where it becomes almost impossible to even tell what's real anymore.

I gotta confess I never played any of the Silent Hill video games. In fact at the risk of hurting my nerd cred here, I had never even heard of Silent Hill before the movie. So I can't say how true this is to the source material or any of that, I can only judge this movie on it's own.

And with that said, I'm really not all that sure how I feel about this movie. On the one hand the acting is solid all around, and the visuals are simply amazing. The film is horrifying, creepy and suspenseful. I spent this whole movie completely enthralled, dieing to figure out just what the fuck was going on.

And then the movie was over, and I still didn't really know what the fuck was going on. Nothing really came together story wise I thought. I couldn't help but wonder, did the writers even know what the fuck was going on, or were they just throwing one twist after another at me to hide the fact they were as lost as I was?

That aside this movie is still worth checking out for any horror fan, especially if you're not familiar with the games you will be impressed with all the unique and disturbing imagery, the most well know of course being the triangle head dude. But if you are a fan of the games the imagery might be old hat to you.


I wouldn't pay big bucks for this, but it's worth checking out on Netflix or getting on DVD as long as you find a cheap used copy or something.


No comments:

Post a Comment