Friday, November 23, 2012

Christmas movies that don't suck.

More and more each year I hate Christmas. I guess that might sound odd coming from a Christian, but the whole thing is just fucking exhausting. I mean this is only the day after Thanksgiving and I've already been seeing tons of Christmas commercials for like two weeks. Oh well, it is inescapable so I guess I might as well talk about it. Most Christmas movies I dislike, a few I don't mind, and some I flat out hate. But there are a small handful I not only like but I love. So here are my list, in no particular order, of Christmas movies that don't suck.

Christmas Vacation (1989) Remember back when Chevy Chase was funny? This is one of those movies I can watch over and over again and it never ceases to make me laugh.

Bad Santa (2003) I like to think of this movie as an R rated Grinch. This is brutally funny and even has a touching semi redemption story in it.

Scrooged (1988) There have been many modern day retellings of a Christmas Carol. Most absolutely suck. This one however managed to keep the real soul of the original story while also being tremendously funny. This is easily one of Billy Murry's best movies, and that's saying something.


A Christmas Carol (1984 TV) As I said this story has been retold many times, this version with George C. Scott is the best one I've ever seen. I absolutely love this story. With a Holiday so full of fake and phony sentimentality, especially these days, this story never ceases to be genuinely touching to me. A beautiful story of redemption, and after all, was redemption not the very reason that baby was born 2000 or so years ago.

So there you have it, the four Christmas movies I love. I make sure to watch all of these at least once ever December.

No comments:

Post a Comment