Friday, December 28, 2012

My top 10 favorite super hero video games.

I'm a pretty big comic book nerd, but I'm not much of a gamer. I mean I play video games, but for the most part I like games I had as a kid, like Mega Man or Sonic, or super hero games. There are a few exceptions to that, I got really into Saint's Row 2 for example (Saint's Row 3 was a bit of a dissapointment though). But for the most part its pretty much just Mario, Sonic, and of course super hero games. So here is my list of my top 10 favorite super hero games. These isn't meant to be any sory of difinitive 'Best' list, just the 10 I like the most.

10) Spider-man: Shattered Dimensions I love me some Spider-man, and I love me some multiverse stories, so it's pretty hard for me to not love this game where you play as Spider-men from 4 different universes. The only thing that keeps this from being higher on the list is it's not sandbox style in it's game play. I would have loved have explored the 4 different New Yorks.


9) Hulk: Ultimate Destruction A sandbox Hulk game where you can go around a city smashing things. What more could you want? I didn't play much of the story mode, once I got to the city I pretty much just did sandbox stuff from there on out. I still pop this in the old PS2 once in a while when the need to smash arises.


8) Spider-man: Separation Anxiety I talked about this game a little bit in an earlier post. This was your standard fight your way down a street or hallway Double Dragon clone that was all the rage back them, but it was still pretty sweet. You could play as Spider-man or Venom, and like most kids I always played as Venom. Only player two could be Venom so I would start the game in two player mode and just let Spider-man get killed immediately and go on as Venom.


7) Ghost Rider. This game didn't get the credit it deserved. I thought it was a damn fun game. The game play was a little repetitive but it's saved in my eyes by the simple fact that we finally had a Ghost Rider game. I really liked the level designs especially for the parts where you're in Hell. If you've never checked this out, you should give it a shot.


6) X-Men: The Arcade Game Holy crap did this game eat up a metric ton of quarters out of me as a kid. This was the standard Double Dragon clone arcade game of forever fighting your way down streets, hallways, etc but boy was it fun. I'll never forget when I beat it, I had $20 in quarters and a Saturday afternoon at my disposal. Thankfully it was a busy day when I hopped on it so various kids at various points joined the game until their quarters ran out and I probably wouldn't have been able to do it without the help. I think this is available on X-Box Live, hopefully they didn't remaster it because it should be enjoyed in all it's original glory.
Ahhh, good times.


5) Ultimate Spider-man This came out before Jeph Loeb had come around and run the Ultimate Universe into the dirt and Ultimate Spider-man was still the tits. I actually didn't have video game systems for the longest time. I went from Sega Genesis to PS2 believe it or not. My dad was always kinda anti video game, and after Genesis when N64 and Playstation was coming out he just decided he wasn't going to buy them for me, and being such a comic book nerd in my teenage years all my money I would make pretty much went to saving up for a car or comic books. After a while I was out of the loop on video games enough it was hard to hop back in. Ultimate Spider-man however seemed so awesome that in 2005 I finally broke down and got a PS2. This game impressed the hell out of me. The sandbox play is super fun, I could just swing around forever. And I'm amazed at how much it looked like Mark Bagely art and not a video game. I'm still impressed with that to this day. This game was, and still is a blast.

4) Marvel vs Capcom 2. This is another one I played a lot of in arcades. My high school sweetheart and I used to play this in the arcade every time we went to the mall together. A couple years later a roommate had it and we would play the hell out of it. This game had it's flaws, the backgrounds and music were pretty weak compared to other Capcom Marvel fighting games. But it's just hard to beat the awesome sauce that is 52 playable characters. I can't help but love a game where I can be Spider-man, Thanos, and Mega Man.

3) Lego Batman 2 This game was a blast. I talked about this a lot more in an earlier post. With so many characters, down right hilarious lego humor, and sandbox style play through Gotham, it's hard not to love this game. I do have a few complaints, mostly I wish it was longer. I beat in it two weeks and half that time was spent dicking around in sandbox play. But it's still a great game, even if it is a little too short.

2) Marvel Ultimate Alliance. What's not to love about a game with damn near every major Marvel character fighting damn near every major Marvel villain? There really isn't much I can say about this game that hasn't been said. It's just so damn much fun.

1) Spider-man (2000) This game blew me away with how good it was. The voice acting was great, the graphics were great for the time, there were so many great Spidey villains, a good chunk of guest stars (including a don't blink or you'll miss it Ghost Rider cameo) lots of alternate costumes you could unlock with different abilities, I just couldn't believe how fun it was. Like I said earlier I didn't have a video game system so I got this on the PC. I'm kinda glad because that gave me a little better graphics then the PS1 version which I got a chance to play a few years later. This game is still my all time favorite super hero game. And the final boss is Doc Ock with the Carnage symbiote, how cool is that?

So there you have it, my 10 favorite super hero games. You may have noticed what some would consider a glaring omission, Batman: Arkham Asylum. I know it was a cutting edge universally loved game, so why isn't it on here? Honestly it's just too damn hard. I'm sorry I'm just not much of a gamer and Arkham just frustrates the hell out of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment