Monday, December 17, 2012

My top 5 movies of 2012

It's the end of the year, so I guess it's time for an obligatory end of the year list. I didn't see every movie this year, but I did see quite a few. The only one I didn't see that might have been on this list was Dredd. I've heard real good things about that. Anyways these are my 5 favorite movies of 2012.
5) The Hunger Games This was a close one, there were a lot of movies that almost made my number 5 slot. What pushed this over the edge for me was I really did not expect this to be good. I'm not even entirely sure why, maybe it was just so pervasive leading up to it's release that the contrarian streak in me came to the surface. But I was very pleasantly surprised with this. The battle at the end was incredibly well done. I felt a chill seeing some of the characters kill with such glee, I felt the panic, the fear and the sadness of these deaths. What could have been a mindless orgy of violence turned out to be very emotionally powerful. This did have it's flaws, the shaky cam was extremely annoying, especially at the beginning of the movie when there was no point for it. Granted part of it might have been my low expectations, but I really enjoyed this movie. Plus you gotta love a movie aimed at young people with such a vehemently anti government message.
4) Chronicle This is the story of three teenage boys who discover what is most likely a buried alien space craft (it's never explained) and a device in it gives them all telekinetic powers. It's told through that 'found footage' style that's all the rage these days. I really enjoyed this movie. I'm a big fan of the found footage style, when done right it really sucks you into the story. This was a very interesting, more realistic take on super powers.


3) Ted This was one of the funniest movies I've seen in years. If you haven't seen this shame on you. The writing was amazing, the CGI effects on Ted were top notch, it was just great all around. Amazingly the concept on the talking teddy bear begins to take a back seat in your mind as you watch it and part of you just thinks of Ted and his buddy John as two guys talking, then some gag reminds you this is a talking Teddy bear and its just that much funnier. Kind of like the times Brian actually acts like a dog on Family Guy. This movie is destined to join the ranks of Caddy Shack and Animal House as an all time classic comedy.


2) The Cabin in the Woods There isn't really much I can say about this movie without spoiling a lot of plot points. This movie isn't really a strict horror so much as it's a horror comedy. It's not only a satire of the horror genre but also kind of a love letter to it. In fact co-writer Joss Whedon said it was "basically a very loving hate letter" to the horror genre. Any horror fan must see this movie.


1) Avengers Yes this was, by far, my favorite movie, not just this year, but in years. It still amazes me this movie even came together and got made, let alone that it was also a damn good movie. The existence of this movie is proof that God not only loves me, but also likes me. Brings a tear to my eye.

So there you have it, my 5 favorite movies this year. Don't agree? Well then make your own damn list.

No comments:

Post a Comment