Sunday, January 27, 2013

Bechtloff's Book of Genesis: Spider-man/X-men: Arcade's Revenge

It's kinda odd, but Spider-man and the X-men haven't had all that many team up stories, and of those few are all that great or memorable. Even in the 90's when they were Marvel's two biggest franchises. And Spidey is a total team-up slut. Hell, he's had monthly books where the whole premise was him teaming up with various heroes. Nevertheless here they are, together and ready to get it done on my Sega Genesis.
OK, Cyclops and Wolverines have different costumes than on the box art, that's kinda a pet peeve with me. And I'm really not digging Cyclops' in game costume, but that's OK, nobody is here for Cyclops anyways. The game starts out with Spider-man seeing the X-men getting kidnapped by Arcade's truck.

Arcade is really the perfect villain for a video game. He likes to kidnap heroes and put them in ridiculous life or death games they must fight their way out of, including robot duplicates of villains they normally fight. That gives this game the perfect excuse to stick as many Spidey and X-men villains in here as possible and you do fight some robot versions of villains like Carnage and Juggernaut. You fight through different levels playing as different characters. Other than the parts with Spidey, none of these levels are any kind of fun though and even the parts with Spidey were weak. In fact the Gambit level flat out pisses me off. It's one of those levels you often see in side scrollers where some killer thing is chasing you. I hate those kinda levels.
This game is just not nearly as good as it should be. It's like the game designers were hoping you would be so impressed with who's in it you wouldn't notice the game itself kinda sucked. The controls were poor, and the graphics sucked to the point where this looked more like an 8-bit game than a 16 bit at times. I rented this game as a kid and kinda hated it, played for like 20 minutes before I was ready to take it back to my local video store. A few years ago I bought another Sega Genesis at a used game store that had a huge retro game section, I bought this with it thinking I should give it another chance. I mean look at it, it looks like it should kick ass. I sold it back to the store for store credit like two weeks later. Recently I found it again for a dollar and couldn't help but get it. "Maybe I just didn't give it enough of a chance" I thought. It's weird, somehow this game turns me into an alzheimer's patient. Every time I see it I just can't believe it's as bad as I remember.

But it is. It's every bit as bad. You might see this on sale somewhere and think "Hey, it's Spider-man and the X-men, it's gotta be fun right?" But just remember, you've been warned.

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I remember this game too, and it really was not at all what I hoped it would be.

    ReplyDelete