Sunday, January 13, 2013

Hero Spotlight: Adam-X the X-Treme

Time for a confession here people. I don't really like the X-men. In fact the X-men are probably my least favorite major Marvel franchise. I don't really hate them, I just don't like them that much. I feel like they don't really fit in with the larger Marvel universe. Why are the Fantastic Four beloved by the general public but mutants are hated? I kinda like where the X-men have gone in recent years though. I feel like it's gotten a lot more nuanced with it's portrayal of bigotry and identity politics. Now rather than just the simple black and white portrayal of people hating mutants, often for no good reason, you have more of just the real life, more understandable complications of different groups of people trying to live together and interact. Some outright hatred but mostly just fear and misunderstanding on one end and some acceptance and support on the other.

But there's another reason I'm not much of an X-men fan. In the 90's when I was first getting into comics, the X-men generally licked a hairy nutsack. And I think no character more personifies what was wrong with 90's X-men comics more than Adam-X, the X-Treme.

With a human mother and an alien father, X-Treme is half mutant, half Shi'ar, and 100% stupid as hell. X-Treme has cybernetic retractable blades because knives are super bad ass and kewl. Also his mutant power is Haemopyrokinesis. What the hell does that mean you ask. It means he can set people's blood on fire. I feel like those little X things on his faggoty pony tails should actually be Ys and he should be a Youngblood member. Believe it or not this idiot still pops up now and then. He showed up during the Uncanny X-men Fear Itself tie in issues. Also of note the character was originally intended to be a lost brother to Cyclops and Havok, although that idea was scrapped, probably after an editor got a good look at this loser. Also I hear there was talk of Vanilla Ice playing Adam-X in one of the X-men movies. OK that I made up, but couldn't you just see it though?

Adam-X the X-Treme, no character, other than maybe Cable, more personifies why 90's X-men sucked.


1 comment:

  1. At least later writers eventually made something good out of Cable. This guy's just a punchline.

    ReplyDelete