Friday, February 22, 2013

On Bible Studies and Alpha vs Beta Males.

As I mentioned before I have a Bible Study in my church every other Monday. We call it small group and it's meant to be both a Bible Study as well as a social kind of thing, building relationships with other church members and what not. And like I said before when I get bored or distracted in these Small Group sessions I start people watching, observing people and watching human nature unfold before me.

This past Monday was a rather interesting study, but it began to reach a point where we were going in circles in our discussions so my mind began to wander, as it's prone to do.

The core members of my small group consist of 4 young married couples. For the sake of this post let's call the men of these couples Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. Now Matthew, Mark, and Luke are all some of the nicest guys you could hope to meet. Give you the shirt off their backs kinda guys. But our small group leader and teacher John on the other hand is an absolute pompous asshole. Now mind you this is Evangelical Culture, so John can't simply openly be an asshole, he's got to be a passive aggressive asshole. The kind that seem nice until you've spent enough time talking to them. Our three nice guys have decent looking wives, all average looking. John's wife however is a slamming hottie and one of the sweetest people you could meet. It's amazing how poorly he treats her. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen him say vicious (but of course passive aggressively sugar coated) things to her in public.

This got me thinking about the social sexual theory known simple as Game. What is game? Well, we could talk at great length about it, but the crux of it is being an asshole Alpha male gets you girls. If you want to learn more about it you should check out Chateau Heartiste. Game works really well on the primitive hind brain parts of us. Because of that it will work best on the dumbest and least civilized among us. A smart well raised girl will be able to resist game a lot more than, say, Snookie. Again game works on our more primitive parts so someone like Snookie who's three ass hairs away from an ape will be totally at the mercy of someone with game. It's not to say the smart well raised girl won't feel a tingle from a douchey bad boy, we all have primitive instincts, some of us just know how to control them better.

So why then does game work so well in the church? Why is the biggest asshole in my church married to one of the hottest women in my church? And it's not just this case, I've noticed game works extremely well on church girls, as long as you stay within the realm of acceptable passive aggressive moral high horse type asshole and not into Kevin Federline type asshole territory. But why can't these particular well raised civilized girls resist game? In a word, naivety.

What my fellow Christians often fail to understand is that while man is not JUST an animal, man is an animal. Even if you were to take a strict creationist stand point (which I don't), God made us from the same dust he made the beasts and we are bound by the same natural laws and possess the same basic instincts. We have a greater intellectual and spiritual dimension than other creatures, and thus can control out instincts, but they're still there. But you can't hope to control you're instincts if you don't first understand them. And so good little church girls go for the asshole just as fast as sleazy Jersey Shore hobags.

Just a few observations from a guy who was bored towards the end of a Bible Study.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. Good church girls still like bad boys; I've seen it, and maybe I've been it, too. :)

    ReplyDelete