Friday, February 15, 2013

Orson Scott Card, Superman, and the "tolerance" of the left.

DC is planning to release a new Adventures of Superman #1 here, it's going to be an anthology title and judging by the cover at least some of the stories won't be set in the train wreck that is the New 52.

Issue one will feature a story by legendary sci-fi writer Orson Scott Card. Card is the author of the Ender's Game series, a Mormon, and a staunch opponent of same sex marriage. Now, while I have moral objections to homosexuality, I'm also a libertarian and I believe in individual liberty. I will fight for the death for individuals to have the right to peacefully live their lives as they see fit, even if the way they seem fit is something I believe to be morally wrong or objectionable. So I'm fine with the government letting gays marry. Card obviously disagrees and feels if gays marry the sky will fall or whatever. Personally I think Card's political views in that regard are at best silly and at worst hateful. And I also find the vehement opposition to same sex marriage rather funny coming from Mormons. One would think given their fondness for polygamy they of all people wouldn't want the government telling people who they can and can't marry. But simply because I don't agree with an author's political views doesn't mean I feel he should be blacklisted or boycotted.

Already there is a petition at All Out for DC to fire Card. Also some comic book stores are refusing to sell this issue. I wonder if these same stores refuse to sell books like Punk Rock Jesus because they don't want to offend Christians. I somehow doubt it. We see that despite preaching "tolerance" till they're blue in the face, liberals don't tolerate dissent well. To DC's credit they are refusing to cave to the rainbow mafia, releasing this statement.

“As content creators we steadfastly support freedom of expression, however the personal views of individuals associated with DC Comics are just that — personal views — and not those of the company itself.”

Good. Don't be bullied by the P.C. police DC. I swear the rainbow mafia is never fucking satisfied. DC has tons of gay characters at this point. Hell, they even recently took one of their oldest characters, Alan Scott, and fucking slapped gay on him. And if that wasn't enough they made Solomon Grundy look like a gay leather bar daddy. What more do you homos want from them?

Simply put, and I say this as someone who disagrees with Card on the issue in question, if you're not willing to read something by a talented author, and if you actively try to silence said author, just because you disagree on a political issue, you are a close minded douchebag.

No comments:

Post a Comment