Sunday, March 24, 2013

Retro Review: Tomb Raider #1

With the new game out, I've been thinking about Tomb Raider a lot lately. In my last Retro Review, I took a loot at the first Tomb Raider comic book, the Tomb Raider/Witchblade crossover. This would lead into her getting an ongoing series in 1999.

Like I said in the last review, I was a huge fan of Tomb Raider and I was so amped when this came out. I know I said before on here that I generally dislike variant covers, but I'm a little embarrassed to admit I got tons of alternate covers for this. I got alternate covers for issues 1, 2, 4, 5, and 9. And needless to say I sent in for the Wizard 1/2 issue.

Our issue starts with Lara fighting a bunch of Iranians who are upset over a priceless necklace she has stolen. She was hired by the Israeli Embassy to get it since they felt it belonged to them. She is saved by her trusty butler Compton. She is then hired by a rich dirtbag named Paris D'Arseine to find the Medusa Mask. Supposedly it's last known location was on a ship in the 1500's that sank and was never found, but someone found the ship and got the Mask. So Lara heads to the location of the wreck to search for clues. When diving she is attacked by some unknown divers who cut off her air supply and detonate an underwater bomb to destroy the remains of the wreck. Our issue ends with this cliffhanger.
This was a good start to a good series. Writer Dan Jurgens does a great job of capturing the adventure and fun of Tomb Raider, with shades of both Indiana Jones and James Bond in the mix. The artwork of Andy Park is amazing as well, he does a great job of the action sequences and makes Lara sexy and beautiful without necessarily slutting her up. I would say this is definitely worth checking out.

Also, Dark Horse is going to be putting out a new Tomb Raider comic based on the new game. While I will probably check it out, and when the price comes down I will check out the new game, I'm a little hesitant about them. I know the game has gotten a lot of praise, but from what I've seen of it, it seems like it might be a littler too grim and gritty for my taste. I loved Tomb Raider so much because it was fun, escapist fantasy. It was Indiana Jones, but with boobs and a sexy British accent. Now shes 'relatable' and it's all grim and gritty and dark and it just sounds like a lot less fun. But again, a lot of people are raving about it so maybe I'm wrong. Once I get the game I'll have a full review up on here either way.

1 comment:

  1. Let me know what you think of the Tomb Raider game.

    ReplyDelete