Thursday, April 18, 2013

Bill O'Reilly is still an idiot

In these troubled times it's comforting to see that some things never change. Bill O'Reilly is still an idiot. I really can't stand that guy. It's not merely that I disagree with him on various issues, I watch and listen to lots of conservative and liberal shows. Just because I'm a libertarian doesn't mean I only listen to libertarians.

But O'Reilly just grates on me for a number of reasons. Partly it's the arrogance, the way he acts like he's far smarter than he actually is, the way he bullies guests, the obvious anger issues. Politics aside he seems like a douche. Also, there's just a lot of lazy thinking in his arguments.

So Tuesday I was bouncing around the various news channels trying to get a little bit of info on the whole Boston Marathon tragedy and I watched a little bit of Bills show. One of his flunkies was out on the streets of Boston getting people's reactions. One gentleman said he was worried the government would manipulate this event to further trample our civil liberties. O'Reilly called this guy an "ideological zealot". Go fuck yourself Bill. If being concerned about individual liberty makes me a zealot than so be it. I'll be a free zealot and you and your halfwit audience can be enslaved moderates.

But the other thing that drove me nuts was he was mad Obama didn't call this a terrorist attack soon enough or enough times or whatever. Bill went on to say if it was a foreign national it was an act of war and if it was an American it was high treason. Here's the thing though Bill, this might not have been a terrorist attack. See, no one has taken credit, which terrorists tend to do as they are attempting to prove some sort of point with their violence. Now I could be wrong, but it seems to me this was the work of some maniac with more in common with Ted Bundy than Osama Bin Laden. So far, based on all we know, this is just a criminal case. This guy is guilty of murder, assault, attempted murder, and a laundry list of other offenses that come with blowing up a crowded event. But high treason? Bill, I know that you've never served in the military, despite being quite the hawk in your foreign policy, but an act of violence is not automatically an act of war. For all we know the guy who did this did it because his dog told him to, or he got off on it, or whatever. Again it seems to me like terrorists would have come forward. For someone who loves war so damn much Bill sure doesn't understand it. One lone individual committing violence is not necessarily an act of war.

So Bill O'Reilly is still an idiot. Good to know in these troubled times some things remain the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment