Tuesday, April 23, 2013

What's on the radio: Thrift Shop by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis

The next time you here an idiotic Keynesian economist like Paul Krugman try to tell you how well our economic recovery is going just remember, a song about how cool shopping at the Good Will is is setting the charts on fire.

If you haven't heard Thrift Shop by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis then I can't imagine what rock you're living under. This song is everywhere right now, and I for one think its success is well deserved. In an age where 90% of rap has degenerated into talking about nothing but expensive clothes, liquor, cars, and the loose women those things attract, Thrift Shop is a breath of fresh air. With awesome lines like "Now walk into the club like 'What up?! I got a big cock'", "Damn, that's a cold ass honky!", and my personal favorite "They be like 'Oh that Gucci, that's so tight' I'm like 'Yo, that's fifty dollars for a t-shirt" it's hard not to love this song. The beat is incredibly catchy and well produced so that helps it's case a lot too. It definitely has it's flaws. It's a bit repetitive such as constantly mention his clothes were your grandfathers. Also, and I'm certainly not the first to point this out, the line about buying a used skeet blanket is, well, let's just say it's odd.

I listened to some of Macklemore's other songs and wasn't that impressed. They aren't bad, but they aren't nearly as memorable as Thrift Shop. One song, Same Love even gets up a liberal high horse lecturing the rap community for using words like faggot and gay. So in my mind Macklemore already loses some of the cool points Thrift Shop earned him for whining that rap isn't sensitive enough.

I think Thrift Shop is an instant classic. While I'm sure I'll probably be sick of it by the time it's run on the charts is over, I'm also sure it's one of those songs I'll be going back to a couple years after it's faded from memory and rediscover it all over again.

3 comments:

  1. I don't care much for rap but I actually liked this song. It is really catchy and its all over the radio. My only thing with the radio is that they usually over play a song a lot. They normally never play the other songs on the artists cd's too and sometimes that have other good songs example Pumped up kicks. The rest of the cd I thought was really good. Depends on if you listen to them though :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a very useful site.
    this site is very useful for us because we learn many things from this site.
    thank you for this awesome post.
    thrift shop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, thank you for the kind words blogger spambot.

      Delete