Sunday, April 21, 2013

What's on the radio: Titanium by David Guetta and Sia

I mentioned before that I don't much care for modern rock. That's despite the fact that, on the surface, I seem like the kind of guy who should listen to it almost exclusively. I love pop, and dance, and hip hop, and even gangsta rap (especially the early 90's West coast stuff). I've been told that my MP3 play list looks like it was selected by a ghetto black guy and a 12 year old white girl.

My love of dance is especially odd since I can not dance, like at all. But most dance music just puts me in a good mood with it's intense and upbeat sound. So one of my favorite songs making the rounds on the top 40 stations these days is Titanium by producer David Guetta with vocals by indie pop star Sia. The lyrics are your generic personal strength message that can be applied to virtually any bit of adversity one might face.

I'm bulletproof, nothing to lose
fire away, fire away
ricochet, take your aim
fire away, fire away
you shoot me down, but I won't fall
I am titanium
you shoot me down, but I won't fall
I am titanium

The vocals by Sia are great, the way her voice builds up on the "I am titanium" lines seems to really put a ton of emotion and even a sense of defiance into that one little line. The beat by Guetta is, well it's pretty basic, even by the standards of dance music, but it gets the job done. Guetta has always produced the most meat and potatoes brand of dance beats. I don't think he's an awful producer, just a rather uninteresting one and I find his high level of success baffling. But the strength of the lyrics and vocals are more than enough to make up for Guetta's generic beats.

I really like this song. It charges me up every time I hear it. Also I'm happy to have a dance song that isn't about dancing or being in the club or partying in general. If you haven't heard it search for it on youtube and give it a shot. Also It has a really interesting video of a kid developing super powers and accidentally blowing up his school.

1 comment:

  1. Listen to some Deadmau5 or some skrillex! I have other random songs you might like too :P

    ReplyDelete