Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Comic Book Store Review: Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash, Red Bank NJ

Being a comic book nerd I love checking out different comic book stores whenever I can get the chance. Hell, when I hear about one in driving distance I've never been too that sounds worth checking out I've been known to make a day trip of it. I've been to comic book stores all over Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Ohio, Virginia, New Jersey, New York and Washington DC. So I figured it might be worth sharing my thoughts on all the different stores I've been to. Let's start with one of the most famous comic shops in the country, Kevin Smith's Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash.

I've been to this one three times over the years, twice before it got its own show and I gotta tell you, it's kinda lame. I went this weekend and they were clearly in between filming cycles and the place was a damn mess. There were boxes of crap everywhere and it made looking around rather difficult. Now to be fair the other two times I went things were a bit more orderly but still not as organized as it should be. This past time Walt and Mike were both there and neither asked me if I needed any help or even said a word to me before I went to check out. I can tell you there is quite a bit of difference between the customer service when the cameras off and cameras on. Also the prices were insane. I saw a number of used out of print trades marked up to stupid prices that I normally see in other comic stores for just cover price.

If you're a big fan of Kevin Smith it's a decent enough store. The place is full of Kevin Smith crap, the walls adorned with signed comics by him, huge displays of his recent books and t-shirts of things from his movies. But if you're looking for comic books you could do a lot better, if you want a Mooby hoody then I guess this is the place for you. If you're a huge Kevin Smith fan it might be worth checking this store out, and Red Bank is a fun little town with a lot of cool stores, but for the most part the Stash is really disappointing, you would expect a famous comic book store owned by a millionaire celebrity to be a lot better than just a small disorganized vanity piece.


1 comment:

  1. I think when they film they clean the hell out of the place and off camera's the mess craws back out and sits there until someone either sorts through it or they actually put the stuff on the shelfs.

    ReplyDelete