Saturday, June 1, 2013

Retro Review: Marvel Team-Up Vol 3 #14

I mentioned on here before that I just can't get into Robert Kirkman's The Walking Dead, either the show or the comic. I've read the first few volume trades of the comic and watched some of the show and it just leaves me cold. It's not bad but it's just not for me and I feel like it's massively overrated. I do however really love Kirkman's super hero book Invincible, and this is the issue that got me into Invincible, well kinda.

I was a big fan of Kirkman's Marvel Team-Up run since issue one and when I read online that an upcoming issue would feature his character Invincible I decided I would give that book a shot and picked up the first trade. I loved it so much I went back to the comic store the next day and got the other 3 volumes. So when this issue came out I was so excited, my all time favorite super hero meeting my new favorite. And when I finally sat down to read it I was more than a little underwhelmed.

The story to the issue is Invincible ends flying through a dimensional portal right into the middle of a Doc Ock and Spidey fight. Ock uses this confusion to get away. Invincible tells Spidey he was fighting a villain who can created dimensional portals and was he bouncing Invincible around the multiverse in an effort to wear him down. Invincible then proceeds to tell Spidey his life story. No really, we basically get a whole page of Invincible explaining damn near everything that had gone on in his comic up until that point. Then Spidey takes Invincible to Avengers tower where he meets the rest of the Avengers. Also while there Spider-man introduces him to Aunt May and MJ and even unmasks and tells Invincible his name. And then they go find Doc Ock, Invincible makes short work of him, and then a portal reopens and Invincible flies off.

This comic sucked. When I first heard about this team up I really expected more than 22 pages of "Hey, go buy Invincible". Invincible makes constant comments about how lame Spider-man, the Avengers, and Doc Ock are, and Spider-man trusts this guy he's never seen before so much that he introduces him to his family, unmasks, and tells him his civilian name. I don't even know what to say about that so I'm gonna have to go with an Internet classic.
You said it Jean Luc. I know this was the New Avengers era where Spidey was getting a lot more open with his fellow heroes, but there is no way he unmasks in front of a stranger like that. Add to that the fact that this comic is really nothing more than Kirkman sucking his own dick and I say it's one you should probably pass on.

No comments:

Post a Comment