Saturday, July 13, 2013

My top 10 favorite video game systems.

As I said before, I'm hardly a hardcore gamer. But like most of the people my age I did grow up with them and I do enjoy them. So I thought of all the systems that have been out over the years I would take a look at my personal favorites. This isn't meant to be any sort of definitive "best" list, just the 10 I have enjoyed the most.

10) 32X. I know, it's barely a system, more of an add on the the Genesis. And it was something of a critical and commercial failure, what with systems like the PlayStation and Nintendo 64 hitting the market soon after, but I still loved this thing. It didn't have all that many games but it had a few gems. It of course had Knuckle's Chaotix, and what's not to love about a Knuckles game, it had a Spider-man game called Web of Fire. I remember it being pretty fun but that could be my own clouded nostalgic vision. I haven't played it recently as a used copy seems to run anywhere from your first born child to your immortal soul. And it also had Doom, and who doesn't love Doom?

9) Xbox 360. Some of you might be wondering why this is so low, only one notch above the 32X even. While there have been a handful of games I've loved on this, Saint's Row 2, Lego Batman 2, Sonic Generations, for the most part I find myself kinda cold towards this system. I still find myself playing Mario on my Wii way more than this system. I guess I'm just too much of a casual/retro gamer for it. Mind you I do enjoy it, just not nearly to the extent my peers seem to.
8) Nintendo Game Boy. This was pure magic when I was a kid. You mean I can play Mario on the go? Will wonders never cease. I really liked the two Super Mario Land games on this, I feel like they were more creative in villains and game play than the NES Mario games. I mean in Mario Land 1 Mario had a submarine and a plane. Mario Land 2 gave us Wario, who would get his own Game Boy game. Obviously there was more than just Mario on it, I remember a couple of nice Ninja Turtle games, and who doesn't love Tetris? I think the main problem with this system was not only did it have a monotone color scheme, but the color was a dull puke green. Still, who doesn't have fond memories of the first Game Boy?

7) Nintendo 64. I actually never owned this system, but my girlfriend did. She had this a few years after it's prime. I had played it before but this is when I really got a chance to play the hell out of it. Every time I was over and we were going to go somewhere this little guy kept me company during the long as process of her getting ready. What great games this thing had. Probably the jewel being Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. That is still, to this day, one of the greatest video games of all time. All. Fucking. Time.
6) Super Nintendo. Ahh this is to me the one that got away. When I was a kid I had a choice one Christmas of getting this or the Sega Genesis. I chose the Sega, and while I don't regret it, I still always wanted this one too. So a few years ago when I discovered a local used game store that had retro games I got this system with a handful of games, most of which I had only played a bit at friends houses. Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, Legend of Zelda:Link to the Past, Mega Man X, Turtles in Time. I always wanted you Super Nintendo, and now I have you. Life is good sometimes.
5) Sega Game Gear. It's like the Game Boy, but in full freakin color! I actually got this the year before I got my Genesis so the versions of Sonic 1 and 2 on it were the first Sonic games I ever owned which you can imagine to such a Sonic nerd like me was a big damn deal. I had plenty of non Sonic games on this, the most memorable being Bart vs the Space Mutants. This thing chewed up batteries like crazy, having a screen that was both color and back lit, back when that was bleeding edge for a portable, so I actually had to get an AC adapter to plug it in and only used batteries for when I was in the car or something. Seriously I remember getting it Christmas morning and the batteries were dieing by like 2PM. I actually thought it was broken it seemed so ridiculous to chew up batteries that fast. But I still loved her. Hell, I loved her so much I got a Sega Game Gear Christmas tree ornament for it the next year.
I still have it and even put it on my tree to this day.

4) Nintendo Wii. I adore the Mario Kart version on this system. It's such a great party game. In fact there were a few great Mario games on this, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Super Mario Wii (one of my favorite games ever), of course the obligatory Smash Bros. every Nintendo system seems to have to have (now with Sonic, yay!) and it finally opened up playing Game Cube games to me. With the exception of my #2 slot, this is the system I currently play the most by a wide margin.


3) Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). If you have no love for this then what the hell is wrong with you? Super Mario Bros 1-3, Duck Hunt, Legend of Zelda, Mega Man, the list goes on and on of great games for this magical little box. This was my first system and still one of the best.
2) Sega Genesis. If you read this blog regularly you know I loves me some Genesis. Reviewing Genesis games has become a whole running segment here, The Bechtloff's Book of Genesis. I actually thought long and hard about the Genesis' placement on this list. It almost had the number 1 slot but was just narrowly beaten out by...
1) Playstation 2. So why did this system beat out Genesis? Well it's the system that got me back into gaming after a long time of not owning any systems. I got this in 2005 and it was the Ultimate Spider-man game that got me to break down and buy it. And that brings me to why this beat out Genesis, PS2 had an amazing library of super hero games. Ghost Rider, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Ultimate Alliance, X-men Legends 1 and 2, Justice League Heroes, the list goes on and on. This was practically the golden age of super hero games, when the technology finally got good enough to make you feel like the various heroes. 

So there you have it, my 10 favorite systems? Don't like it? Well, as always, make your own damn list then.

No comments:

Post a Comment