Sunday, July 21, 2013

What's on the Radio: A defense of Blurred Lines.

A little while ago I did a little review of Blurred Lines by Robin Thicke. Well I recently caught Todd in the Shadows' review of it and he called it "rapey" Oh Todd, I wanna like you but you make it pretty damn hard sometimes with your constant forfeiting of your mancard.

To be fair it's not just Todd that's calling this song rapey. And if you watch Todd's review it's pretty clear that he's really just mad that Blurred Lines is doing better in the charts than Daft Punk's song Get Lucky. Get Lucky has a similar sound and Todd considers it a superior song and is clearly rather pissed that Blurred Lines is doing better. Personally, while I do like Get Lucky, I think Blurred Lines is a far more fun and enjoyable song.

Now as for the "rapey" accusation, I really don't see it. I viewed the titular blurred lines as being between right and wrong, sleazy and classy, and good girls and bad girls, not a line between consent and non consent. Mr. Thicke apparently agrees with me. I really don't see how you listen to the lyrics of this song and get a rapey message.
I really think we've entered a stage of third wave feminism's putrid influence on culture where anything that is fun and sexy is likely to incur the wrath of butthurt over sensitive people's rape whistles. This is a fun and sexy song and if you think its rapey I think that says a lot more about you than it does this song. So please people change your fucking tampon and shut the hell up.

1 comment:

  1. As a daft punk fan I will say Get lucky was a good song. I also like the Loose yourself to dance one if you ever listened to it. :P

    ReplyDelete