Sunday, September 8, 2013

Bechtloff Movie Night: Riddick (2013)

Confession time here people, I've never actually seen the other two Riddick movies. Yeah, I know, that's almost grounds to have to turn in my nerd card. When the first one came out I didn't care for Vin Diesel as all I knew him from that that shitty Fast and the Furious movie, and then when the second came out and I had changed my tune on Vin but I was meaning to see the first one first and then just never got around to it. A friend who saw this told me I could probably watch it as a stand alone movie so I figured I'd give it a shot, as there isn't much else to see right now.

The story has Riddick left for dead on a harsh alien world. We get a bit of a flashback to how he went from leading the Necromongers to being stuck here, then we get several scenes of him surviving on this harsh world, even making a pet of an alien wolf like creature. Eventually he finds an abandoned base and sets off the emergency beacon knowing people would come after him as there was no doubt a bounty on him which would allow him to get his hands on a ship to leave this world. Two ships show up and he picks a few of them off one by one before allowing himself to be captured as a massive rain storm is coming and a certain type of deadly creature hunts in the rain. Diesel works with the remaining survivors to fight the creatures and get off this world.

This was a pretty solid movie. Not great but pretty good. It definitely got me interested enough in the character of Riddick that I will probably go out and buy the other two. I found the scenes of him surviving on the world really compelling but once the bounty hunters showed up it got to be a little formulaic and boring. I also didn't like how the one Christian character was portrayed as a weak little coward. Further evidence that modern Hollywood has no idea how to write men of faith anymore. I'm told this is by far the weakest in the series and I believe it as it's pretty much only Vin Diesel's performance and the strength of Riddick as a character that at all holds this movie up. Fans of the series might be disappointed as this is not the sequel they've waited all this time for, but given that Diesel had to put up his own money to even make this happen that's understandable. As for a noob to the franchise, I still found it to be at least an enjoyable popcorn flick.

No comments:

Post a Comment