Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Review of the Week: Forever Evil #1

I've said before on here that I love the Crime Syndicate. So when I found out there was going to be a New 52 even featuring them, I was kinda worried to say the least. I mean the New 52 is a disaster and has wrecked some of DC's coolest characters, what would they do to the Syndicate?

Well the story of issue one is that someone is breaking all of the major villains out of the super prisons to assemble them as an army. That someone is revealed to be none other than the Crime Syndicate as they announce to the villains and the world via broadcast that the world is theirs now. The Syndicate consists of the the five core members as well as evil versions of Firestorm and the Atom. I think that evil female Atom has been hanging out with the Justice League posing as a good guy, but I might be wrong on that. Haven't read much recent Justice League.
OK, let's take a quick moment to talk about the character designs. Owlman's mask looks like shit. It's like a grey version of the Midnighter or something. Thankfully though that's the only real complaint. There are a few minor things I don't like, such as the shape of Ultraman's embalm or the fact that the evil Firestorm basically just looks like Black Lantern Firestorm. And one change I actually like, the barbs on Superwoman's lasso. All and all it could have been much worse. I mean Owlman could have looked like a gay leather bar daddy like Solomon Grundy or something.

To show the villains they mean business they bring out Nightwing who they have captured earlier this issue and unmask him live on TV. Our issue cuts to Luthor saying this is a job for Superman and wondering where he is.

I gotta say, I was pleasantly surprised. I mean this is the New 52, so they really could have butchered my favorite DC villains here. But so far so good. I give it a solid 4 goatees and daggers out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment