Sunday, September 15, 2013

Top 10 Evil Double Villains

One of the most enduring villain archetypes is the dark reflection. So it obviously tends to pop up over and over again in popular fiction. So here are my top ten. As with most of my lists here are my ten favorite. Not necessarily the most important ever, just the ten I like the most.
10) Wario and Waluigi. Little is known about the evil doubles of Mario and Luigi. Wario is a greedy little shit who wants to collect all the gold he possibly can. Even less is known about Waluigi other than his affinity for gokarting and tennis. But for reasons unknown these two continue to troll the ever loving hell out of the Mario brothers.

9) Rival. One of comics earliest "dark reflection" characters this dark version of the golden age Flash is sadly only notable pretty much for being one of the first of his kind. Still, I thought he was well used in the JSA series of the early 2000's and I always liked the look of him, so I thought I'd include him.

8) Doctor Octopus. What's that you say? This isn't an evil Spider-man? Oh, come on, it's a guy who takes on the mantle of an eight limbed animal after a lab accident. I know, that's a bit of a stretch, but Doc Ock isn't so much a dark reflection of Spider-man as he is of Peter Parker. He's the nerdy scientist, he was mocked by his peers. He is the bitter guy full of nerd rage that Peter could have become. And isn't being the dark thing the hero could have been at the heart of the dark reflection concept?

7)Metal Sonic. It takes a special kind of hatred to build a robot double of someone just to kill them, but that's just what Dr. Robtonik did. I always loved Metal Sonic in the Sonic games. I found myself wishing they would have made a Metal Tails and Metal Knuckles. They have in the Archie Sonic comic, but to the best of my knowledge, never in the games.
6) The U-Foes. Evil versions of the Fantastic Four who, oddly enough, rarely ever fight the FF. They tend to fight the Hulk more than anyone else. Simon Utrecht sought to purposefully recreate the accident that gave the Fantastic Four their powers and actually succeeded. But, unlike most of the evil doubles on this list, they had no real beef with the FF and rarely fight them. That's a rather interesting twist on the dark reflection archetype.
5) Bizarro. Kinda hard to due this list and not include the villain who's name is synonyms with the concept. There have been many versions of this character, but I prefer the degenerate clone version I fist saw in the 90's Superman cartoon. "Me save Loois!"
4) Dark Link. First seen at the end of Legend Of Zelda II, this douchebag has been a thorn in the side of many a gamer. I know if not for magic spells like Din's fire I'd never get past him. Dark Link seems to be just a magical construct and likely doesn't even have any real sentience. Still a massive pain in my Nintendo playing ass though.
3) Reverse Flash. Both Barry Allen and Wally West have had their own versions of Reverse Flashes, and both have been compelling characters with interesting personal stakes against the characters. The design is a flipped color scheme, but it works really well, almost could work at it's own design. The New 52 Reverse Flash is a raging dumpster fire, but then that's the New 52 for ya.
2) Venom. I remember watching the 90's Spider-man cartoon during the Venom episodes and genuinely wondering how Spidey would handle this. I mean he knew who Spidey was, he could just kill him in his sleep. Venom ended up being more popular than Spidey and had consecutive minis (basically forming an ongoing) running through half of the 90's. It's hard not to love the V-man.

1) The Crime Syndicate of Amerika. This should come as no surprise to any regular reader of this blog. I've talked about these guys over and over. I just freaking love them. And thankfully their New 52 versions aren't terrible (so far).

So there you have it, my ten favorite evil double villains. Don't like it? Well then, as always, make your own damn list. Bechtloff out my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment