Tuesday, September 3, 2013

What's on the radio: Same Love by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis

I wanted to like Macklemore and his sidekick Ryan Lewis, I really did. Thrift Shop was a damn good song. But then they followed it up with yet another bouncing in the club song and now this boring piece of pandering drivel.

First, for the sake of full disclosure I should say, being a man of faith I believe homosexuality to be wrong. Not just different, but wrong. But I'm also a libertarian, so as long as you're not forcing me or my church to embrace it, I really don't care if you give gays marriage licences. It doesn't hurt me in the least, and I am a firm believer in equality under the law, so I say let them have it. But it's not the advocating gay marriage where this song loses me, it's this part.

If I was gay I would think hip-hop hates me
Have you read the YouTube comments lately?
"Man, that's gay" gets dropped on the daily
We've become so numb to what we're saying
Our culture founded from oppression
Yet we don't have acceptance for 'em
Call each other faggots
Behind the keys of a message board
A word rooted in hate
Yet our genre still ignores it
"Gay" is synonymous with the lesser

You know why I fell in love with rap back in the 90's despite being one of the whitest mother fuckers you could ever hope to meet? Rap had balls. Rap had huge chrome plated balls and it said whatever the hell it wanted and the whole world could lick those chrome plated balls if it didn't like it. Rap was N.W.A. saying "Fuck da police!", rap was Eminem telling both Tipper Gore and Lynne Cheney to shove it up their up tight old asses. Rap had some fucking balls. But not anymore. Jay-Z went from Big Pimpin' to telling Beyonce "Yes Dear", that about sums it up right there doesn't it? And now, rap's newest rising star is lecturing the genre about how it needs to be more sensitive. 
And as if this song trying to further neuter rap wasn't bad enough, this song is treated as though it were some sort of courageous stance on Macklemore's part. Oh wow, a guy in the entertainment industry took a pro-gay stance? What a brave brave soul. Think of how sore his back must be after having the entire entertainment industry establishment pat him on it. 

But you know what, I could forgive all that if this song wasn't so damn boring. This has none of the creativity of Thrift Shop, and not even any of the energy of Can't Hold Us. This is just a boring snooze fest of a song. The hook by Mary Lambert is the only semi interesting thing and that's just because her vocals stand out against Macklemore's flat rhymes. Hell, I'd rather listen to Lil Wayne than this, he might be borderline retarded, but at least he's still got a pair of nads on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment