Saturday, October 19, 2013

Bechtloff's Book of Genesis: Captain America and the Avengers

Captain America and the Avengers is your basic sidescrolling/beat 'em up type game where you play as Cap or one of three other Avengers and fight your way down a street or corridor. All the characters play the same with punch and kick attacks, as well as a projectile attack. Cap throws and infinite number of shields, Hawkeye shoots and infinite number of arrows, Iron Man has his repulsor blasts and Vision has his eye lasers. So in some ways it's pretty much like that classic X-men arcade game, except with the Avengers but minus the cool special attacks. And since I love the Avengers way more than the X-men I should love this way more too right? Right? Well, I don't. In fact it kinda sucks.

As soon as you get to the title screen you hear a horrible sounding voice say "The Avengers!". Holy shit I hate the voice work. I have a hard time describing it frankly. It's both kinda fruity sounding and also, due to the limitations of the Genesis, and I suspect a bit of laziness on the part of the game designers, rather distorted. So right away it sounds like my game is possessed by an effeminate demon. Also I should note that Vision is in his all white costume in this. I get that that's what Vision looked like at the time this game was designed, but it makes for a rather boring character to look at while playing, so in spite of Vision being a personal favorite character of mine I find myself rarely picking him. I wish they would have gone with his more classic look or just another character. Why not Thor? Then you can have the big three on here. After you pick your character you get text telling you the plot and this further indicates the lack of thought put into this game. It says that Red Skull has assembled an army of super villains. OK fair enough, but it says he used his wealth to do this, then it says he used a mind control device. So wait, is he paying them, or brain washing them? Maybe it just means he used his wealth to get the device built? I don't know, we're not even playing yet and the plot is already convoluted.

The voice work continues to be some major suckage throughout this game. Whenever you're hit your character yell "Noooooo!" in a way that makes me want to jam q-tips in my ears. The music is rather forgettable and the graphics are OK but not great. To the game's credit there are a lot of different villains but overall the game just feels like the designers didn't give a shit. This has none of the heart of the X-men Arcade game. I realize this is a console port and not the arcade version, but lots of Arcade games made fine console games. Turtles in Time for the SNES looked great. And fighting games like Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat were just fine on Genesis, so I really can't imagine the arcade game is really all that better. So despite all the cool characters terrible sound effects and an overall sense of not giving a fuck really drag this game into the gutter. All and all I give this game a measly one infinitely respawning shield out of five.

1 comment:

  1. I remember seeing this game in the arcade, and putting quite a few quarters in over time. I I LOVED seeing so many familiar characters on the screen, but I was bothered by the fact that everyone punched and zapped with the exact same amount of damage. I know that's how games worked and all, but it still bugged me that a punch from Cap did the same damage as a punch from Vision.

    ReplyDelete