Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Review of the Week: Superman/Wonder Woman #1

I have to admit I was against the Superman/ Wonder Woman pairing when it was first announced, and I still kinda am as I really don't buy that Wonder Woman would be all that into a guy like Superman. Batman would seem a more fitting love interest or hell, even Aquaman (he is a king after all). Plus I don't like that DC split up Clark and Lois. But that's just part of DC and Marvel's never ending battle against marriage. I will say however that a lot of interesting possibilities are opened up with these two being a couple and it's one of the few major changes the reboot gave us that I don't think is an absolutely terrible idea.

The story of this issue is mostly a lot of talking. Both Clark and WW are talking to supporting characters from their books I don't recognize because I don't read WW or the Super books. Sorry but I gave up on them a while ago. Anyways the two of them are on a date later and Diana says she's gonna help teach Clark how to actually fight, which should make for an interesting exchange between them later. Anyway the two get called by the Justice League to go investigate a hurricane that had some "strange readings". Supes goes underwater to try and cool the convection center of the storm and is attacked by something. That something turns out to be Doomsday and he surfaces to attack Wonder Woman.

Really that was about it. It wasn't a bad start to this series but it wasn't great either. Really there's not much to say. I mean this book was OK and it's still one of the best DC books out there. Man they gotta get rid of Dan Didio.

8 comments:

  1. never got the batman wonder woman thing i always thought batman had more chemistry with a rock then with wonder woman. but it's not like batman doesn't get paired with everyone else man woman demon or etc...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always imagined that Wonder Woman would have respect for Batman's warrior spirit, similar to her attraction for Steve Trevor. Superman for all his power just doesn't seem to have that to me.

      Delete
  2. exactly! i mean batman its just a big emo guy i think dc should make him gay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Batman, warrior spirit? really? please when i think of warrior spirit in fictional characters i have a bunch of examples and batman itsnt among them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I agree that many writers make Batman too emo, at the end of the day he's a guy who took a tragedy in his life and used it to mold himself through sheer will and determination into someone who, despite being a mere human, can stand shoulder to shoulder with people with virtually god-like powers. That takes a greater strength of spirit than simply getting your abilities through accident or birthright.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh we get! it your a batlover, maybe the reason why you dont like this amazing couple?

    ReplyDelete
  6. budy just read some manga and get a peek of what a real warrior spirit its.and we lives tragedies every single day batman its just one of the most boring fictional character for me, at least superman reminds me of some manga characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I would read some manga, except that I'm not a 13 year old girl.

      Delete