Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Bechtloff's Book of Genesis: Greendog The Beached Surfer Dude!

I vaguely remembered this game from when I was a kid. A friend of mine had it and I used to play it when I was at his house sometimes. So when I saw this at my local used game store for only a measly $1.99 I figured it would be worth getting. I mean hell a soda at the gas station nearly costs that much. The game opens with out hero crashing into a beach after a killer wave. He finds he has a mysterious pendant around his neck he can't take off and suddenly a hot chick in a bikini shows up and dumps a shit ton of exposition on us.
She explains that you need to find all the pieces of Aztec gold to remove the cursed pendant and that while you're wearing it animals around you will go ape shit and try to kill you. The game in in many ways a clone of the Pitfall series. Everything from the animals that attack you to the vines you swing on just remind you of Pitfall. But there is also a lot of originality here. The surfer dude style of the game is very entertaining. The reggae inspired music is just great and you use a frisbee as your primary weapon. And in between all the stages you fly to the next stage on your pedal copter with gives you a nice little power up collecting stage between the levels. Also I love the design of the pedal copter.
The puzzle solving and platforming elements can be challenging at times, but this game is never stingy about power ups and food to restore your health so its a great game for some casual, relaxing after work platforming. No one seems to talk about this game or remember it all that much but it's probably one of the best games in the Genesis library. If you have a Genesis or an emulator you need to get this game. I have no idea if this is available on a virtual console, I don't do digital only content, but I frankly doubt it is as this seems to be a lost classic. Still you should make an effort to at least get in on an emulator. I give it a solid four and a half killer waves out of five.

No comments:

Post a Comment