Sunday, October 27, 2013

The Bechtloff's Book of Genesis: Sonic the Hedgehog

Well in these Genesis reviews I've looked at Sonic Spinball, the pirated Sonic Megamix, and what is in my opinion the best Sonic game ever, the combined Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles. So why not take a quick look at the one that started it all, Sonic the Hedgehog.

There's not all that much that can be said about Sonic 1 that hasn't already been said. It's one of the most important games in the history of video games. It wasn't perfect. I thought the Marble Zone was terrible and really kills the momentum of the game with it's tedious level design, but Spring Yard Zone still brings a smile to my face. But what really surprises me is how well it holds up, even to this day.

As a kid I always felt Super Mario Bros. 1 really didn't hold up after 2 and 3 came out. I would go back to playing the first one sometimes after playing three and it was amazing how boring the first one was compared to it's sequels. But Sonic 1 always held up. Sure Sonic 3 was far superior, but Sonic 1 always remained something you could go back to and thoroughly enjoy. I do still hate the Special Zones in Sonic 1. I could never get more than 3 or 4 of the emeralds so I never got the good ending when I beat it. Still since there was no Super Sonic back then it didn't matter for game play.

I'm certainly not the first guy to say this but if you own a Genesis there's no reason not to own this game.

No comments:

Post a Comment