Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Bechtloff's Book of Genesis: Taz-Mania

I fucking hated this game. I mean it, this game produced an almost immediate visceral hatred in me as soon as I started playing it. I guess I should explain that though.

I reviewed Taz Escapes from Mars on here before. That was a fun game minus one level I thought was a ridiculously hard ball buster that almost ruined the whole thing for me. So I figured it might be worth checking out it's predecessor Taz-Mania. This game isn't so much based on the classic Loony Tunes cartoons like Escape was but rather the Taz-Mania show from the early 90s. I remember watching that show but I never liked it. I'm not sure why, I would have to go back and watch episodes again to figure out what turned my young self off to it. But that's not what I hated about this game. No, I hated the controls. I don't know how to describe them to you but they just feel broken. Everything about how Taz moves just feels clunky and slow. I didn't have any of these problems in the second game. Also the graphics aren't quite as polished as the second one, but I guess that's to be expected.

I honestly didn't get past the first level. I suppose I could have put the time into it to get the hang of the shitty controls but nothing about this game made me even want to. By the way, that egg on the cover with the beak sticking out, doesn't that look like the Howard the Duck movie poster?
Much like that movie, this game in an unpleasant mess. The story of the game is Taz is actually looking for that egg from a giant bird to make a big omelette. Not that it matters, as I'd rather eat a toasted shit sandwich than play this game all the way to the end. Steer clear of this Genesis abortion.

No comments:

Post a Comment