Sunday, November 10, 2013

Bechtloff Movie Night: Thor: The Dark World. (2013)

Now as with most of my new movie reviews, I won't go into a full plot synopsis to keep spoilers to a minimum, but there will be some spoilers so be warned.

As with Iron Man 3 I wondered if a Thor solo movie would really work after Avengers or if it would feel like a step back. Well, as with Iron Man 3 they do a decent job of showing why other Avengers don't get involved, in fact in this they do a little better job as by the time the threat reaches Earth it's dealt with before someone like Iron Man would have time to fly over to help. Also there is a rather amusing Chris Evans cameo as Loki takes the form of Captain America to mock Thor. Pretty much the whole supporting cast from the first Thor return, including Jane's intern Darcy who consistently makes me laugh. I love how the comedic elements work so well in these Avengers universe movies without turning these movies into a farce. The story is an amusing fantasy epic, nothing amazing but it gets the job done. Where this movie really shines is the the characters and the actors portraying them. Chris Hemsworth is an amazing Thor, Anthony Hopkins is great as Odin, and of course there is Tom Hiddleston as Loki. Hiddleston has absolutely melted into that role and you can tell he just has a blast doing it. And damn do the fan girls love him, I swear when we first see him I could feel it get more humid in the theater. As with many Marvel movies the post credits scene was amazing. This time not for what it revealed but the performance. In the scene we see the Elder of the Universe called the Collector played by Benicio del Toro. Now in and of itself that's not a huge reveal, I mean we already saw Thanos at the end of Avengers. But I was just amazed at the performance Benicio gave in just that short scene, so creepy and foppish and just freaking perfect. I can not wait to see him play that character more down the road. I will be very disappointed if that's the last we see of the Collector or if he's recast.

So what else can I say, go see this movie.

1 comment:

  1. Just gonna leave this here.

    http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/195li18d24obwjpg/ku-xlarge.jpg

    ReplyDelete