Sunday, January 5, 2014

My top 10 favorite video games.

Well, I've listed my ten favorite super hero games and my ten favorite Mario games. But what about my favorite video games period. Well here they are. Remember I'm by no means a hardcore gamer, and these are my favorites.So this is not by any means meant to be some sort of definitive "best" kinda list. Just the ten I love the most.


10) Mega Man 2. If you've read this blog for any length of time you would know I love me some Mega Man, but as a kid this was the only one I ever played through all the way. I've since played all of them except 9 and 10 but I still think 2 is the best. Granted many of the other ones were still great, and I freely admit I might just be bias due to my own nostalgia, but I still think this one is the best. And it has my favorite Robot Master, Wood Man.

9) Final Fantasy Tactics. I've never been a fan of the Final Fantasy games. They've all just been a bit too manga-ish for my tastes. But this one, with it's unique (at least for the series) game play sucked me in from the start. I remember a roommate had this and I had kinda fallen out of video games at the time. "You should play this." he told me. "Nah, I'm not a big video game guy these days." I told him. But I gave it a shot and next thing I know I had poured 60 hours into it. Damn good game.

8) Super Mario Bros. 3. I've talked about this on my list of best Mario games, so really what is there to say about this game? The power ups, the enemies, the level designs, this game was just amazing.

7) The Legend of Zelda. This is the first game I ever played that didn't have a linear level structure. I could just wander around and explore. True it isn't anything like the sandbox play you find in games now but I just loved that feeling of an open world. And the excitement you would get when you heard that little bit of music that meant you found a secret. Not just a great game but the first in one of the greatest game franchises of all time.

6) Saints Row 2. I had played some of the GTA games before, mostly part 3 and San Andreas, but this was the first of that style game I played where I actually cared about the story enough to play the missions rather than just dick around in sandbox play. I actually got a little emotional when Carlos died.  Combine that with the fact that you could customize your character and there was just a ton of side things to do, to explore, and to buy and upgrade and this game was a blast. Gotta say I was very disappointed in part 3 though. Never even bothered with 4.

5) Super Mario World. Much like Mario 3 I really don't know what to say here that hasn't already been said. This is just  phenomenal game.

4) The Legend of Zelda; The Ocarina of Time. This is another one where I don't know what I can say that hasn't been said. This took everything that was great about the Zelda franchise and put it into a true 3 dimensional game. This is another one where I just remember exploring for hours. But again, what can I say that hasn't already been said?

3) Tomb Raider. I fell in love with this game and this character as soon as I played it at a friend's house when it first came out. I know now a lot of the social justice leftards look down on this franchise because this character was "sexualized". I have to wonder if any of the people who say that actually played these games. Yes some of the marketing and ads were sexualized but the game itself was not. Unless of course feminists just can't tell the difference between a female character being objectified or just being attractive.

2) Spider-man (2000). I talked about this in my greatest super hero game list so I won't go into it too much here. Suffice to say this was the first Spidey game where I felt like I was really playing as Spider-man. Still a classic to this day.


1) Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles. This combined game (really a full game that was split into two cartridges) of Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles is to me the single greatest Sonic game to date. I did a full review of this before, so I won't go into this too much here, but with some of the best graphics the Genesis ever had, three different playable characters with very different game play, and a really strong narrative for a 2-D platformer at the time, this remains to this day my favorite game of all time.

So there you have it, my ten favorite games? Don't agree? Well, as always, make your own damn list then.

No comments:

Post a Comment