Thursday, March 6, 2014

Separating the Game Boys from the Men: Castlevania Adventure

I played a ton of Castlevania on the old NES, so I was pretty curious when I saw this at a used game store as to how well it would translate onto the Game Boy. For the most part I would say if you liked the NES Castlevania games you will like this because in many respects it's the same thing, you whip monsters, sometimes getting power ups on your way to take out Dracula. The frustrating knock back is here of course, which will lead to many a trip down a bottomless death pit, but like I said, this is a good translation of the NES games, warts and all. It even has a similar ending to the first Castlevania game as you watch Dracula's castle crumble. The graphics are pretty solid for a Game Boy game, especially since this was a very early one, coming out the same year as it. And the music is just fantastic, but then that's to be expected from a Castlevania game.

The two biggest complaints I have are how the character moved and the inclusion of a timer. First of all your character moves so painfully slow. It feels like you're sloggi,ng through mud or something. His walk speed is just ridiculous. And then there's the level timer. Each section has a timer where you have to complete it in a certain amount of time. You do get plenty of time, I never ran out, but on my first play through it made me feel kinda rushed, and in a game where jumps need to be timed just right I really don't care for that.

Still though, those are relatively small complaints and never really ruined the experience for me. So I would say you should definitely check this out. I give it a solid four stakes to the heart out of five.


No comments:

Post a Comment