Saturday, May 3, 2014

Free Comic Book Day 2014: New 52: Futures End #0

So I hope everybody had a good Free Comic Book Day, I know I did. But I gotta say, it seems like the bigger publishers really don't put as much into it as they should. I mean I get only doing one new book but why not more reprints as well? Anyways I only got a few books, a Sonic/Mega Man X flip book, Rocket Raccoon, Guardians of the Galaxy, a Street Fighter book Udon had put out and of course this, New 52:Futures End which it the only one I've had a chance to read so far. The basic story here is that in the future Brother Eye is going all Borg on us and assimilating everyone and Batman Beyond gets sent back in time to stop this from happening. To the books credit there were a lot of really horrifying visuals in this issue, the artist really did a good job of showing this for the nightmarish scenario that it is. A few things bugged me though, like when John Stewart gets assimilated, I have a hard time imagining that the Green Lantern ring can't protect against it, or at the very least wouldn't abandon him and fly back to OA once he's assimilated. Also let's face facts this is nothing we haven't seen before, it's basically just the Borg but with a more "Return of the Living Dead" visual flare to it. Still it's not bad and if it was happening in the Pre-Flashpoint DCU I would probably be pretty excited to see where they were going with this, but it's just so hard to muster up much of a fuck to give about the New 52 abortion. But like I said definitely not bad and I might check out issue one this upcoming Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment