Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Review of the Week: Angry Birds Comics #1

Well, this comic book existing seems rather unnecessary doesn't it? But it was a slow week so I figured it wouldn't hurt to pick it up and give it a shot. This comic is split up into three short stories, like for example the first one where the explosive bird named Bomb has the hiccups and is exploding uncontrollably. Honestly, do you really need a plot synopsis for the other two?

I don't really know much about Angry Birds. I've watched some Let's Play footage but I don't own a smart phone so I've never actually played it. That being said, this book did actually get a few mild  laughs out of me, so I'll give credit where credit is due. And I applaud IDW for taking risks and getting as many odd properties on the shelf as they have. I don't remember what article it was in but I seem to remember the IDW President or Editor saying in an interview that IDW had the most diverse line of books as any other publisher and that's probably true. But do the Angry Birds really need a comic? Can they really sustain a comic? I really don't think so. Mind you, there's lots of video game franchises I would love to see get comics. Mega Man is probably my favorite comic book right now, and if a Zelda, or Metroid, or Mario comic was coming out I know I would be amped.  But Angry Birds? Is there really enough story or character there? But at least this book isn't trying to be more than what it is and is just doing goofy little short stories. I'd hate to think how unreadable it would be if it was all decompressed and written with a trade in mind. 

So is this worth getting? Well I guess if you really, really, and I mean really love the game you might get a kick out of this. Like I said, it did have a couple of laughs in it. But for 99% of you out there, I would just say pass on this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment