Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Review of the Week: Daredevil Vol 4 #6

During the Original Sin mini series a villain called the Orb hit several heroes with a psychic "secrets bomb" which revealed to each of the affected heroes a hidden secret from their past. And in Daredevil's case it was that his father wasn't the stand up guy we all were lead to believe, but rather that he used to beat the hell out of his wife. This revelation leads Matt to look up his mother, who had long ago become a nun, only to find his mother caught up as an innocent by standard in a conspiracy involving the African nation of Wakanda.

All and all the plot involving his mother and the mess she gets caught up in is actually pretty interesting and I suggest checking it out. I really don't want to ruin anything for you so I won't go into detail about it, especially since it really isn't what I feel like talking about in this issue. I want to talk about Matt's father.

I don't want to overreact or have go knee jerk on this, Lord knows there is enough of that lately involving the new female Thor story coming up, but this really doesn't sit well with me. First of all the idea that Daredevil's mom had, for lack of a better term, a mid life crisis which lead her to leave her family and eventually become a nun, is a pretty important part of Daredevil's character. It is the ultimate source behind his complicated relationship both to his faith and the women in his life. Once you reveal that his mom only left because his dad beat the shit out her, it not only smears Daredevil's father, but also undermines a very interesting aspect of the character that has been a major part of his background since the Frank Miller days on the book. Suddenly her actions in leaving her family become so much more justified and it can't help but shift the anger in Matt's heart away from his mother and to his father. I don't want to throw around any hyperbole and say this "ruins the character" but I definitely fear it may take away one of his more interesting aspects.

All that being said, this was a decent enough story, and were it not for the initial revelation that lead Daredevil to this unfolding mystery I would wholeheartedly say check this book out. As it stands I still liked it, but I think this revelation was a pretty big mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment