Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Review of the Week: Death of Wolverine #1

So for those of you who haven't heard, Wolverine has lost his healing factor. Not had it scaled back, but lost it completely. This has, oddly enough, been going on for a while in the books and now we get to the inevitable outcome of Wolverine with no healing factor, his death. Not much happens in this book, we just wee Reed Richards vowing he will find a way to fix this for Logan, then pretty much him making a sort of final stand up in a remote island in the Canadian north against the various enemies who would come for him, including the Daredevil villain Nuke, who we find out was merely hired by Madam Viper.

And that's about it really plot wise. I have to admit, when Wolverine lost his healing factor a few months ago I thought it was one of the dumbest things I've read in comics in a long time. I mean, I get that it's super hero comics, and I gotta suspend my disbelief, but you gotta meet me half way on that. A Wolverine with no healing factor should be dead in a week. Hell, just popping the claws would leave him needing stitches. And he was still an active Avenger and X-man after losing his healing? Bullshit. Just plain old bullshit. But this issue no longer just glosses over it and deals with what a dead man Logan is without his healing. The art and writing are both solid, and I really liked the very stoic way Logan is accepting his death sentence. I can't say I care for the speculator-bait feel to this story line, especially since we know he'll be back somehow in like 3 months time tops, but it was still a decent read and worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment