Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Review of the Week: Spider-man 2099 Vol 2 # 5

For those of you who didn't know, Spider-man 2099 has been stranded in the present day for sometime now. But it seems the main universe isn't the only universe where a Spider-man 2099 is in the present day. We see one where Miguel is in the present day and an Avenger...for some reason. Also we catch up with the Spider-man 2099 who had been a member of the multiverse policing Exiles, only to settle down in one of the universes they saved and apparently start a relationship with that universe's MJ. Needless to say Morlun makes short work of the Avenger Spider-man 2099, which for some reason our Spider-man 2099 somehow kinda felt psychically, and the Exiles version had been monitoring it with Exiles tech, and attempts to warn the version in the main universe only to be killed by Morul right in front of our Spider-man 2099.

Holy balls, this issue was a mess. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but I this has got to be confusing as hell for a lot of people. The Spider-man 2099 that was an Avenger, what the hell is his deal? Had we seen this before? The Exiles one I knew about, since I was a huge Exiles fan, but that would be confusing to anyone who hadn't read Exiles. It seems like some simple narration boxes giving some exposition would have been extremely appropriate here. I'm an old hat at this, as juggling multiple versions and continuities, I've been reading comics for a long time and love mutliverse and alternate universe stories. But even I was a bit lost at times. As I said, it was an enjoyable enough chapter in the Spider-verse saga, but it sure as hell wasn't the remedial class that's for sure. You better brush up on some Marvel Handbooks before you crack this issue open buddy, because it has no time to hold your hand while you figure things out. I don't even know how to score this book or whether or not to recommend it. I guess if you're a Spider-man 2099 expert, or simply don't feel the need to know anything about the Spider-men you're seeing die, then you'll enjoy this book. If not, I think you might just be lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment